Yes, there are side effects of CBD oils. Although CBD oil provides many potential health benefits to people, it poses a number of side effects – ranging from mild to serious health issues to our body. It happens on a case to case basis, depending on the patient’s initial health condition before consuming CBD products. The severity of the side effect(s) one may experience vary quite drastically, so it is important to know the possible complications as well as health conditions that CBD does not go well with.
The following symptoms are:
- Anxiety: This is a rare symptom as ironically, many people use CBD oils to provide short-term immediate relief for anxiety.
- Changes in appetite: You might start having a bigger or smaller appetite, and/or some changes in your food palette.
- Changes in mood: You may seem more happy, lighthearted, or floaty, but it is not permanent, unless you consume a large amount of CBD frequently, which is not ideal.
- Diarrhea: If it gets serious, visit a doctor. This may be more of a reaction to the carrier oil the CBD is in, than from the CBD itself.
- Dizziness: If you start experiencing dizzy spells, stop your CBD intake and visit the doctor to find out the exact cause of your dizziness.
- Dry mouth: You may feel more thirsty and experience dryness in your mouth. So remember to drink lots of water.
- Nausea & Vomiting: This is a side effect that is more severe, hence, it is highly likely that your body is telling you that CBD is not the product for the health issue that you are trying to solve it with.
A health condition that CBD products do not go well with is liver cancer. People diagnosed with liver disease should not use CBD products or use it with caution under the guidance of a doctor who can monitor the blood enzyme levels in your liver regularly. This is because CBD oils have a side effect of increasing liver enzymes, which cause inflammation to your liver.
Certain medications should not be taken at the same time as CBD oils. The main ones to be aware of are prescription blood thinners and statins. These compete for the same enzymes in the body which results in the medication lingering in your system longer than intended. Often times this can be mostly avoided by waiting 2-4 hours either before or after the medication to take the CBD oil. However, it is always best to consult your doctor or pharmacist first.
During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Pregnant woman and mothers who are breastfeeding should avoid CBD oils for the time being. CBD oils may potentially disrupt a baby’s development. To this date, it is still unclear as to how CBD oils do that, but it is a fact that CBD oils can pass through the placental barrier.
What You Should Do
These side effects are real and happening to people. However, there are also countless people who enjoy the therapeutic benefits of CBD oils. Use it with caution and see how your body reacts to it. If you are not experiencing any of the side effects after consuming CBD oils for a week or more, you should be fine. If otherwise, it could be due to the fact that you are consuming way too much, or CBD oils are just not right for your body. There is no harm in trying – unless you are pregnant/nursing, diagnosed with liver cancer, or your doctor advised you against it.
If you would like give CBD oils a try, click here to see what kinds of oils we offer at EV Naturals. We not only sell oils, but also creams, vapes, balms and edibles! Start shopping at our online store and you can enjoy free shipping!